Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Gummy Fruit Snacks

I found this yummy-looking snack on Pinterest and thought it would be a great, healthy alternative to the commercial fruit snacks.

Ingredients:
 1 cup mixed berries (I used frozen mixed berries.)
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup fruit juice (I used Cran-Grape which we already had in the fridge.)
2 envelopes gelatin (1 envelope = 2-1/2 tsp.)

1.  In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the berries and the water.  Bring to a boil and cook until berries are soft (about 5 minutes).

2.  Using your favorite method, puree the berries until smooth.  Return to the pot.  Add applesauce and bring back to a boil.  Remove from heat, cover, and set aside.

3.  In a large bowl, sprinkle gelatin over fruit juice and let stand for one minute.  Add the hot fruit mixture and stir until gelatin completely dissolves, 3-5 minutes.

4.  Pour into 8x8" glass or ceramic baking dish (or into molds).  Refrigerate until firm, at least 3 hours.  Cut into blocks or shapes.


Gracie wouldn't even try it.  She normally has three tests to determine if she will eat something new.  First is the look test.  "Does it LOOK like something good?"  Then is the touch taste.  "Does it feel funny?"  Finally, is the lick taste.  "OK, one lick and I'll see if I like it."  It didn't even pass the look test.  She likes the commercial fruit snacks (I like Welch's), so I don't know what the deal was with this.  I'll try again in a few months.  I do think she will like them if she would only try them!  Hmmmm......I probably should get Green Eggs and Ham to read to her, too.

Original Source:
Pin It!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

PrintFriendly