Thursday, February 16, 2012

Crockpot Stew

I got this recipe from Taste of Home.  I used to have a subscription several years ago (twice at two different times).  I saved most of my magazines and have been slowly going through ripping out the ones I want to try.  Piece of advice:  If you are teaching your young child not to rip up paper, do not rip out recipes or other articles in her presence.  Gracie tells me "No no no no no!"





Ingredients:

1 lb. beef stew meat
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 can (14-1/2 oz.) beef broth
1 can (11-1/2 oz.) V-8 juice (I used the 5.5 oz. cans of V-8.  Never noticed there was a size specification until after I made the stew.)
2 celery ribs, chopped
2 medium sweet onion, chopped
3 bay leaves
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. pepper

2 Tbs. cornstarch
1 Tbs. cold water
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup frozen peas


Directions:

In a 3-quart slow cooker, combine the first 12 ingredients (from beef stew meat down to pepper).  Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until meat is tender.  Discard bay leaves.

In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into stew.  Add corn and peas.  Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until thickened.

This is really good stew.  I love anything that can just be thrown together in a crockpot.  I'm not a fan of peas (English peas), but I will eat them in soups and stews like this.
Pin It!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

PrintFriendly