Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Repost: Sweet and Sour Chicken

 I got this recipe from one of Robert Grandmother's cookbooks called Wok Cook Book. This is, by far, the best recipe in the whole book.










Sweet and Sour Chicken

Serving Size: 4
Cuisine: Chinese
Main Ingredient: Chicken
Categories: Stir Fry, Main Dish

-= Ingredients =-
3 cups Pineapple ; chunks (One large can will do great.)



~~ -- SWEET AND SOUR SAUCE -- ~~
1 1/3 tablespoons Cornstarch
1/4 cup Sugar
1/4 cup white wine vinegar (optional, substitute white vinegar)
2 tablespoons Coriander sprigs ; minced
1 1/2 teaspoons Dried cilantro leaves
2 tablespoons Ketchup
1 tablespoon Soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon Ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Red pepper ; crushed
1/4 cup Chicken broth (I used chicken stock since I already had an open container. I don't know if it makes a difference or not.)
~~ -- MAIN DISH -- ~~
1/5 cup Salad oil (I used wok oil since I have not been able to find salad oil at all.)
1 3/4 lbs Chicken breast ; cut into strips (I cut up three boneless skinless breasts which was plenty.)
1 clove Garlic ; minced or pressed
1 medium Onion ; thinly sliced
1 medium Green pepper ; cut in strips (Next time, I will add a red bell pepper for color.)
4 cups Rice ; cooke
Cilantro ; optional

-= Instructions =-
1. Drain pineapple chunks; reserve juice for another use. (I used the juice to marinate the chicken.)
2. Prepare sweet and sour sauce (stir everything together) and set aside.
3. Place wok over high heat. When wok is hot, add 2 T of the oil. When oil is hot, add chicken and garlic. Stir-fry until chicken is opaque (about 4 minutes); remove from wok and set aside. (I cooked the chicken in two batches, and I added more garlic to the second batch. Also, just to make SURE that the chicken was cooked all the way through, I put it in the microwave for 2 minutes while I was doing the veggies in the next step.)
4. Add remaining 1 T of oil to wok. When oil is hot, add onion and green pepper. Stir-fry for about 1 minute, or until tender-crisp. Return chicken to wok. Add sweet and sour sauce and pineapple. Stir until liquid boils and thickens (about 1 minute).
5. Serve with rice. Garnish with cilantro.

I forgot to garnish with cilantro, but it still turned out fabulous! Robert loved it with the rice (I don't eat rice that much). We will definitely have this meal on a semi-regular basis.


Repost from my personal blog, Kinsey Family Blog.
Pin It!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

PrintFriendly