Thursday, October 20, 2011

Movie Review: The Shunning



The Shunning is based on the book by Beverly Lewis. This is the first book I ever read by this now-famous author.  In my opinion, she is the top writer of Amish fiction, rivaled only at this time by Cindy Woodsmall.  (Granted, I haven't read every author, but that's out of the ones I have read.)

It's been a long time since I read the book (or the rest of the series), but as far as I can tell, the movie followed the book very well.  The acting was very good.  It's definitely worth watching.

Katie is a young Amish girl who is engaged to be married to an Amish bishop.  She struggles with separation from the world in the area of music.  A former beau (who she thinks died a few years ago) gave her a guitar with which to make music.  An Englisch lady comes around looking for the baby girl she gave up for adoption 20 years ago.  Katie turns out to be that daughter.  Her parents never told her and didn't want to tell her even when they found out the other lady was searching for her.

At the end, both Robert and I had the same reaction, "What?  You've got to be kidding me? That's ALL?"  We were expecting more to the story, but I'm guessing that perhaps we'll have to wait for the movie sequel!
Pin It!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

PrintFriendly