Thursday, December 1, 2011

Taco Seasoning

We love tacos around here.  I have bought the rather large containers of taco seasoning (where you measure out about 1/4 cup) but they are difficult to get out of the can.  I also would prefer not to consume any more salt than I have to.  I have made taco seasoning before, eons ago, but have no clue where my recipe was.  I found this Taco Seasoning recipe on Pinterest and decided to try it.  (I actually found several, but I tried this one first.  Robert liked it, and we are sticking with it.

It's very simple to make.  Just dump the ingredients in an air-tight container and mix.






 Ingredients:
 1/4 cup ancho chili powder*
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 - 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
2 tsp dried oregano**
2 tsp paprika
2 Tbs ground cumin***
3 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

Unfortunately, I did not check my spice stores before going shopping, so I didn't have everything I needed.
*I did not find ancho chili powder, but I used "California chili powder" found in the hispanic food section at Walmart.  It comes in a plastic package.  I bought two of them which was enough to make a triple batch of this.
**I did not have any oregano, so I substituted Italian seasoning.
***I did not have enough cumin, probably half of what I needed.

To use, measure out 2 to 2-1/2 tablespoons for the equivalent of a packet of taco seasoning.  Combine 2 Tablespoons cornstarch with 1 cup water and stir to dissolve.  Add cornstarch mixture with the taco seasoning to your meat of choice, simmer over low heat until liquid has thickened.

Original Source:
Pin It!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

PrintFriendly