Thursday, February 23, 2012

Cheesy Chili Hashbrown Bake

I got this recipe from Southern Living magazine.  I think I must have torn it out of my mom's magazine, because I do not subscribe to it.










Ingredients:

1-1/2 lb. lean ground beef or turkey
1 (15.5 oz.) can original sloppy joe sauce
1 (15-oz.) can chili with beans (I use Hormel's.)
~4 cups from a 30-ounce package of frozen country-style shredded hashbrowns
(I used potatoes O'Brien which have onions and peppers added.)
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Brown ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, 7 to 10 minutes, or until meat crumbles and is no longer pink.

In the meantime, lightly grease your baking dish(es).  They recommended using 8 10-ounce ramekins, but said that you can use a 9 x 13" baking dish.  I used the 9 x 13" dish.

They did not say to drain the ground beef, but I did.  Add sloppy joe sauce and the chili to the ground beef, and heat through.

Spoon chili mixture into your baking dish(es).  Top with frozen hashbrowns.  (I only covered half with hashbrowns since my husband is currently doing Atkins.)  Cover with aluminum foil.

Bake covered at 425 degrees for 30 minutes.  Uncover and bake 10 more minutes or until browned and crisp.  Sprinkle with cheese (I used only about half of the amount they said to use.), and bake 5 more minutes or until cheese is melted.

We loved this recipe!  Robert gave it a two thumbs up even with his portion not having any hashbrowns.  Gracie tried it -- but only because her daddy bribed her with "doe-noe" (soda).

I can't think of anything I would change about it (I definitely like using the potatoes O'Brien.).  This is such a simple dish that it would be easy to keep the makings on hand.

I meant to take a picture of the dish, but I forgot.  It's not so pretty now!
Pin It!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

PrintFriendly