Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Crockpot Chicken Taco Chili

I'm a sucker for crockpot recipes.  Anything that can be thrown together and cooked without supervision is a winner in my book.  I saw this recipe on Pinterest and was immediately intrigued.  A few weeks ago, I started planning to do things that I had pinned on Pinterest and this was the first crockpot recipe that I tried.  Full Disclosure:  I was not the first pinner of this recipe, but I couldn't find the original pin, so I googled for the recipe and repinned it myself.



Crockpot Chicken Taco Chili

Ingredients:

1 onion, chopped
1 16-oz can black beans
1 16-oz can kidney beans
1 8-oz can tomato sauce
10 oz package frozen corn kernels
1 14-1/2 oz cans diced tomatoes with chilies (I used regular Rotel.)
1 packet taco seasoning
1 Tbs cumin
1 Tbs chili powder
chili peppers, chopped (optional)  (I didn't use.)
24 oz. (3) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
chopped fresh cilantro
sour cream (optional)
cheese (optional)
Tortillas (optional)

Combine first ten ingredients.  Place chicken on top and cover.  Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours.  Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred.*  Return chicken to crockpot and stir in.  Top with fresh cilantro.  Add sour cream and cheese.  Serve on tortillas.

*Here's a handy-dandy tip that I tried and loved:  Put the cooked chicken in your stand-alone mixer (such as Kitchen Aid which is what I have, a gift from my grandma).  Use the paddle attachment and turn on to setting 1 or 2 for less than 30 seconds.  It will do a beautiful job of shredding your chicken!  SO much easier than wrestling with knives, forks, and other kitchen implements.

I served the chicken taco chili (say that three times fast!) by itself with cheese and sour cream on the side.  My husband had the great idea of putting them on tortillas.  The next day, he even put a tortilla on the griddle part of our stuff and put the chicken taco chili on top.  This crisped up the tortilla and warmed up the chicken taco chili.  We liked it this way really well.

We both declared this a Keeper Recipe!

Original Source:
Pin It!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

PrintFriendly