Thursday, November 17, 2011

Night-Night Mat

One of the more popular pins on Pinterest is that of a lounging mat made from sewing pillowcases together and inserting pillows.  It looks a great idea and one that would be fun and useful to have for a long time.  I would've loved to have had one as a kid.

Rather than buy brand-new pillowcases, I decided to look in my local Goodwill and Salvation Army stores to see if I could find anything that would work.  I knew I also didn't want to buy brand-new pillows because that would be crazy expensive.  I like to walk through the thrift stores gathering ideas.  About a week ago, I found a great alternative:  a bumper pad for a crib and a really cute Barbie-themed sheet.  (The only way you can tell it's a Barbie sheet is because it has the logo in one of the circles at the top.)  Surprisingly, the bed sheet was for a full-sized bed, so there was plenty for this project and enough leftover for some future project.  Total cost:  $5.98 plus tax!


Here is the blue crib bumper cut into three segments and then zig-zagged on the cut edges.

Here is the uber-cute bed sheet (folded in half).

First, I hand-stitched the three segments of the bumper together.  That's when I noticed I had some uneven edges.  Easy fix by cutting down and doing a zig-zag stitch with the sewing machine.

As you can see, I was all over the place with stitching them together.  I started off with a made-up figure eight stitch that didn't work.  Then I did another stitch and another weird technique.  It was driving me crazy because it was taking so long to stitch them together.  I didn't want to be hand-stitching on this thing for a week.  I finally resorted to stitching them together at certain points.
I laid the bedsheet out, put the crib bumper on top, folded the sheet over and then drew lines where I wanted to cut them.


This is after I sewed the long side (right sides together).  I don't know how the bottom got all un-squared.  Fortunately, I had left PLENTY of extra room, making it longer and wider than necessary just in case I had problems.  After sewing the bottom, I used my pinking shears to cut off the excess, turned it inside out, inserted the bumper pad, and was done!

Here, Gracie is posing for the picture, going "night-night" on her new nap mat.

Gracie enjoyed playing on the nap mat while Robert and I watched TV.  Here, she is riding her horsey while we watched "Have Gun, Will Travel."  She had never done that before.  I thought it was too cute!

I'm really happy with how it turned out.  In a way, I wish I could've made it thicker like the pillows, but I think this will do just fine.  Certainly can't beat the price!

Original Sources:

Source: gltc.co.uk via Ava on Pinterest


Pin It!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

PrintFriendly