Thursday, November 24, 2011

Southwestern Corn Chowder

I'm not really sure exactly when and where I got this recipe.  It's printed on a Walmart advertisement flyer for Knorr Homestyle Stock.











Southwestern Corn Chowder

Ingredients:

2 Tbs I Can't Believe It's Not Butter! Spread (I used butter.)
3 large all-purpose potatoes, peeled and diced (about 1 pound)
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 tub Knorr Homestyle Stock - Chicken
3 cups water
1 can (14-3/4 oz.) creamed corn
1 Tbs lime juice
2 Tbs finely chopped fresh cilantro (optional - did not use. I generally do not buy fresh herbs as I don't like to waste the leftovers.)

1.  Melt spread (butter) in a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat and cook potatoes with onion, stirring occasionally, until potatoes start to stick and onion is tender, about five minutes.

2.  Stir in Knorr Homestyle Stock until stock is melted.  Stir in water, scraping up any brown bits from bottom of saucepan.  Stir in corn and bring to a boil over high heat.

3.  Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.  Lightly mash potatoes with fork or potato masher until creamy.  Stir in remaining ingredients.

I used butter instead of the spread.  I like to use butter sticks (unsalted) for butter that has to be measured out, and I use Smart Balance butter spread (my husband's preference) for butter to be spread on toast and things like that.

It took longer than 15 minutes to cook the potatoes enough to mash easily.

Robert liked this better than I did.  I didn't dislike it, but it wasn't my favorite thing, either.  I had a bowl and that was enough for me.  Robert declared it a keeper, so it goes in the Keeper Recipe Binder.
Pin It!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

PrintFriendly