Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Southwestern Egg Rolls

One of my favorite menu items at J. Alexander's is their Huevas Rolls (not sure if I spelled that right).  I could eat a whole plate of them and call it a night.  I don't, but I could!  Sam's Club has sold some frozen ones that are quite good, too.

I looked at allrecipes.com to see if I could find something similar that I can make at home.

Here is the recipe that I found and tried.



Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 skinless, boneless chicken breast half
2 Tablespoons minced green onion (did not use, didn't have)
2 Tablespoons minced red bell pepper (did not use, didn't have)
1/3 cup frozen corn kernels
1/4 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
2 Tablespoons frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained (did not use, too lazy to thaw it out)
2 Tablespoons diced jalapeno peppers (had to use the jarred kind)
1/2 tablespoon minced fresh parsley (used dried)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/3 teaspoon salt
1 pinch ground cayenne pepper
3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (I think I used taco blend or something similar)
5 (6 inch) flour tortillas
1 quart oil for deep frying (did not use)

Directions:

Rub 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil over chicken breast.  In a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook chicken approximately 5 minutes per side, until meat is not longer pink and juices run clear.  Remove from heat and set aside.  (I had to finish it off in the microwave.  In the future, I will cut it into strips and cook to make sure they get cooked completely.)

Heat remaining 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.  Stir in green onion and red pepper.  Cook and stir five minutes until tender.

Dice chicken and mix into the pan with onion and red pepper.  Mix in corn, black beans, spinach, jalapeno peppers, parsley, cumin, chili powder, salt, and cayenne pepper.  Cook and stir five minutes until well-blended and tender.  Remove from heat and stir in Monterey Jack cheese so that it melts.

Wrap tortillas with a clean, lightly moist cloth.  Microwave on high approximately one minute or until hot and pliable. (I did not do this step.)

Spoon even amounts of the mixture into each tortilla.  Fold ends of tortillas, then roll lightly around mixture.  Secure with toothpicks (did not do this).  Arrange in a medium dish, cover with plastic, and place in the freezer.  Freeze at least four hours.

In a large, deep skillet, heat oil for deep frying to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).  Deep fry frozen, stuffed tortillas 10 minutes each, or until dark golden brown.  Drain on paper towels.

After putting the mix in the tortillas, I rolled them up and put them in a dish, but I didn't freeze or fry them.  We heated them up in the microwave and ate them that way.  They were quite good!  For the last one, Robert took out the mixture and cooked it with scrambled eggs to make a breakfast burrito.  That also was very good!!
Pin It!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

PrintFriendly